Chocolates, Lilies & Easter Holiday Treats – Pets Want Them, But So Not Sweet to Eat!

easter-pupEarly spring brings Easter baskets and lilies, but both can be hazards for your household pets. Dogs can be poisoned from eating chocolate, and cats are extremely sensitive to lilies if they eat them. It’s important to call us immediately if you believe your pet has consumed either of these so we can determine treatment.

Chocolate poisoning happens more frequently in dogs because they are more likely to consume larger quantities. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is to your pet. Higher concentrations of theobromine (a bitter, natural chemical component in the cacao plant) and caffeine are found in darker chocolates—which is why unsweetened cocoa powder is more toxic than milk chocolate.  Chocolate affects the heart, nervous, and gastrointestinal systems, and symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, muscle tremors, and a higher heart rate. How it affects your dog depends on size, breed, and how much chocolate was consumed.  Eating chocolate can be life threatening for your pet in a matter of minutes, so it’s important all sweets are kept well out of your pet’s reach.

easter-catLillies are beautiful, smell wonderful, and are abundant during the holiday. But most all types of lilies are toxic to felines—Easter, Tiger, Japanese, and Day lilies are the most common. Just a few nibbles from a leaf or drinking the water from the vase or planter can lead to life-threatening  situations  such as kidney failure. Signs to look for if you think your cat may have consumed parts of a lily or water include drooling, vomiting, loss of appetite, dehydration, and changes in the frequency of urination. Unless you can ensure your cat can’t get in contact with lilies, it’s best to keep them outside adorning a window sill.